Saturday 8 October 2011

Rewind and Repeat PLEASE!

        When I found out that my fathers side of the family was Russian I started frantically learning the language. I used to live in the greater Sacramento California area and we had a colossal size Russian community approximately 4.5% of Sacramento County are Russian immigrants. Now it doesn't seem as if that is a lot, but if you consider that they only have a population of 466,488 as of the 2010 Census records. So it is about 103,000 +/- a couple thousand. That is a lot of Russians.

I decided to get to know my roots. I immersed myself in the language and picked it up quite well. When we found out we were having a girl we wanted to do a traditional Russian/Ukrainian names for our children. We chose the name Anastasiya Pavlovna. It means Little Resurrection but in the Russian culture it means Anastasiya belongs to Pavel Kalinyuk. We love the name and so did Pasha's parents, but the fight began with my family.

My grand mother ho I love dearly told me she needed to have a more American sounding name and something not so hard to pronounce. I do have people butcher her name but if they don't know how to say it almost everyone asks how to.

Anastasiya Pavlovna
Ahh-na-stah-see-ya Pawv-lov-na

In Russian we have a lot of letters that are sounds more than a letter. We also have 36 total letters in our Alphabet. Our Letters are as follows.



 
Image provided by http://www.friends-partners.org/friends/language/russian-alphabet.html
One part I do love with Russian is it is mostly phonetic. Once you know the alphabet you can read it. The pronunciation might be hard because the English speaking tongue is hard to ply to sounds you have never tried to pronounce.





http://www.friends-partners.org/friends/language/russian-alphabet.html

No comments:

Post a Comment